Feel the magic of Christmas in Prague! The readers of USA Today voted for Prague to be the #1 best Christmas destination in the world and Prague also ranks #4 in the CNN's world's best Christmas markets!
Have fun exploring the little stalls huddled around the huge Christmas tree at the Old Town Square while drinking hot wine and eating the traditional Czech Christmas pastry. Every year, the regions compete to provide the most beautiful tree for the Christmas market in Prague. Enjoy the fairytale-like view of the markets and the snowy roofs from above! Our private guide will also explain all the Czech Christmas traditions and customs during a romantic walk at the Charles bridge and through the Old Town.
The Prague Christmas tour can be done at any time of the day, but the markets are most impressive when it gets dark - which is after 4 pm.
Highlights of the Prague Christmas tour
Take a romantic stroll at the illuminated Charles bridge when it's dark. Our guide will explain the Czech Christmas customs and traditions.
There are many little stalls around the Christmas tree, selling Christmas decorations, traditional handicraft, hot wine, sausages, sweets and much more.
Old Townhall Tower
We'll go up to the top of the Old Townhall Tower and enjoy the breath-taking bird's eye view of the Christmas market and the Old Town below.
Optional sightseeing spots and activities
The standard plan includes a short evening drive through the city to a panoramic city viewpoint. But we can also do a short boat cruise or climb up the tower of the Charles bridge for another great view.
Take a 45 min cruise around the Charles bridge - including hot wine and a waffle. The last boat departs at 5 pm (it gets dark after 4 pm).
If you like the bird's eye views, let's go up the Charles bridge tower and enjoy the splendid view of the Prague castle! (no lift)
We will drive to one of the panoramic city viewpoints to see the magic Christmas Prague yet from another angle.
The Prague Christmas tour is fully customizable. The standard tour begins at your hotel, but we can meet you in the city center if you wish. The atmosphere of the Christmas market at the Old Town square feels most magical in the evening, therefore we recommend starting around 4-5 PM - it starts getting dark shortly after 4 PM.
First, we will take a romantic walk on the Charles Bridge. Meanwhile, your private guide will talk about the Czech Christmas traditions, customs, and meals. Some of them are very different from the rest of the world. Then we have 3 options:
- A short boat cruise (45 mins, hot wine + waffle included). Please note the last boat departs at 5 PM and the cruise is very popular, therefore we recommend getting on the one departing around 4:30 or 4:45 PM.
- Climbing up the Charles Bridge tower for the stunning view of the Charles bridge+Vltava river+Prague castle. Please note there is no lift.
- Or we can go by the standard plan and continue directly to the Christmas market
Then we will drive or walk to the Old Town square. You can easily spend a whole hour at the Christmas markets around the huge Christmas tree in front of the Tyn church, tasting the local food, the hot wine and learning about the Czech traditional handicraft. Our guide will explain what is what. You must not miss the moving Astronomical clock (Orloj) while you are there!
When you have had enough food and drinks, we will go up the Old Townhall tower (there is a lift) and you will be amazed by the superb view from the top of the tower. You will see the whole Christmas market, the Christmas tree, everything shining and glittering in the dark. The sight of the roofs of the old houses and church towers are particularly spectacular if they are covered in white snow!
If you have not taken the boat cruise or did not go up the bridge tower and there is still time, we will drive you to one of the panoramic city viewpoints to see the city from a different angle a distance.
The tour ends at your hotel (or in the city center if you wish).
Important tour info:
- The Christmas market starts on 31 Nov 2019 and ends on 06 Jan 2020.
- We recommend visiting the market when it is dark - it starts getting dark after 4 PM in December. However, this tour can be done in daylight too.
- If you wish to take the river cruise, please note that we should aim for the boats departing around 4:30 or 4:45 PM
- There is no lift in the Charles Bridge tower, there is a lift in the Old Townhall tower.
- Both towers are very popular and the capacity of the observation decks is limited, therefore please note there may be a queue or may have to wait for a little.
- Your dinner (or lunch) is not included in the tour fee.
- Please take some cash with you if you wish to shop at the Christmas market